Bonifacio is located in the extreme south of Corsica and has two coastlines: East side and West side, about 65 km of coastline, from cove, gulfs, bays, beaches.
In this city that is the "most southern of France," the fantasies of "Mother Nature" are surprising: a cliff like a sailor hat, opening a sea cave faithfully reproduces the contours of Corsica…
The foundation of Bonifacio 830 is attributed to a Pisan nobleman, Count Boniface. This is from a simple "castle" fortified, designed to defend the Strait and southern Corsica Saracen invaders. At the bottom of this box, a population of merchants and "people of the sea" is installed.
The Republic of Genoa became master of the city in 1195. A new population composed exclusively of volunteers from rivers Ligurian invests Bonifacio.
The construction of fortifications agrees, the former "castrum" quickly turns into an impregnable fortress defended by the natural boundary of the cliffs and that of a body composed of defensive works. More than once, Bonifacio withstand military expeditions undertaken by the Kingdom of Aragon, the Kingdom of France, the Ottoman Empire and even the Kingdom of England.
Do not miss
Marine: by boat, you can discover the beautiful cliffs of Bonifacio with their caves or visit the Lavezzi Islands…
The medieval city:
street of two emperors: two plaques commemorate the passages of Charles V and Bonaparte. From this ancient street, many alleys surmounted buttresses form aqueducts to collect rain water.
Parade: former military site of the city in the time of the Republic of Genoa, it was transformed into fish market. We still see it today circular tops of three grain silos.
The genes door: formerly called "U Punti On ad'atu '', 'Purtun" or "Great Gate", type drawbridge "Delille" that we see today dates from 1830 (French time) and replaced the old drawbridge arrows dating de1598 (Genoese period).
The garden remains: fortifications ruins of xviii century, unearthed in recent excavations. The charm of these old stones mingle various species of Mediterranean flora.
The major church holy marie: main church and the oldest building. Built from the twelfth century by the Pisan, the entrance to the building is preceded by a loggia, where the "old" were meeting to deliberate decisions of the city.
The house podestats: this house, with cornices and arches, was that of Podestats, representatives of the authorities of the Republic of Genoa from the 1270s.
The church Saint Jean-Baptiste: built in 1785, also called the Chapel of Mercy and where is the processional group representing "the beheading of Saint John the Baptist."
The staircase of the King of Aragon (entrance fee) : The legend says that its 187 steps carved in the cliff face, were dug overnight by soldiers of the Roy D'Aragon, Alphonse V, during the siege of 1420. In fact, for over 2000 years, a flaw in the limestone allowed to descend to the level of a drinking water table by an undeveloped road and inconvenient.
The torrione: built from 1484 and successively reinforced by the armies, it was built on the former "Castelletto" of Pisan origin. Destroyed in 1901 because too visible landmark for enemy armies, it was rebuilt in the 1980s.
The church saint dominique: one of the few religious buildings in Corsica to present elements of Gothic architecture.
Barracks montlaur: testimony of military life that animated and cemented the newspaper of the city until the 1980s two main barracks: the south, the "Genoese"; to the north, the "French".